Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why would Apple make me spoof a user-agent string to buy something from their store?

I discovered a while back that in Firefox, if I come across a page to an Apple App Store link, the link doesn't open the App Store, it takes me to a page where I can download the app store. Which I already have.

Someone mentioned that it works correctly in Safari.

I found that it also works in Firefox if you install the user-agent-switcher extension, and set a user agent to Safari, with the string
:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_6; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/10.0.648.127 Safari/534.16

Set that, switch user agent to Safari, and bingo, the link works.

Can anyone... ANYONE give me a non-paranoid-idiotic reason for Apple setting it up like this?

What, "We don't want you in our store buying stuff from us unless you're here in our browser."

I KNOW Apple's not that stupid... are they?

No comments: